Saturday, June 2, 2018

Using the Bioprinter - to print chocolate! [MakerID-1]

For the Maker Faire, I am learning how to use the bioprinter. In the end, my goal is to print chocolate patterns with the bioprinter. I got interested in this when I noticed that the bioprinter was just sitting in the science room practically unused. I really wanted to learn how it worked.

At first I wasn't really sure what I wanted to make with the bioprinter, but knew I wanted to print something edible. Chocolate! What a good idea.

My biggest constraint was learning how to use Pronterface, the program for the bioprinter. That was a real challenge, but I managed to overcome it by watching tutorials, asking 8th graders for help, and using my good judgment to solve problems. Another challenge was when I set the heat to 40 degrees Celsius instead of 0, and almost broke the bioprinter. I was relived that I didn't and it was a good learning experience.



I leaned to always trust my instincts and not to be afraid to step out of my comfort zone. If I had more time, I might have dived a little deeper into the scientific applications of bioprinting. If you are interested in using a bioprinter, make sure you are totally familiar with Pronterface before printing. Also, like I did, have a good time!

My in-the-classroom solution to melting the chocolate

Estimated cost: $6.50 (Chocolate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj0R2RxSZco

No comments:

Post a Comment