Monday, June 4, 2018

Making a Duct Tape Apron [MakerID-29]

My project was creating a duct tape apron to protect the clothing of students when holding the BPC chickens. since it is duct tape, it protects the legs of students from getting scratched. As duct tape is a durable material, it will last for a long time and can be kept outside. It is also waterproof and easily washable, so if the chicken poops, the clothing and skin of the person holding the chicken will be protected, and the apron can be easily removed and washed.

My inspiration for this project was seeing how hesitant the other students at the school were of holding the chickens after a few students were pooped on. I also really enjoy making things out of duct tape, and making duct tape clothing was another idea I had. This project both solved a problem and was super fun to make!

                 

I constructed this apron solely out of duct tape and a few small metal objects. First, I made a weighted strip of duct tape, with the nuts I used wrapped inside. Then, I made two equal strips of duct tape and then filled in between them. I covered the other side of the duct tape so it wasn't sticky, and then created a waistband that is adjustable. Then, I wove folded over strips of tape to create the torso section and attached it to the leg section. Then I added the overlapping straps and realized the waistband I already had would not accommodate the egg pockets. I started to create another one, but didn't have time to finish it. If I had more time, I would have finished this and the pockets, and lined them with some soft fabric to protect the eggs from breaking. As it is, it only has one use, but that is alright.
One problem I encountered when creating my apron was the fact that duct tape sticks to itself. A lot. It happens to be quite difficult to work with something that sticks to everything. It meant that some parts of the apron are rough and somewhat unattractive. I worked around this by making the duct tape equivalent of a loom, so the tape was taught enough not to bunch up or attach to other pieces. This helped make the apron even and not as lopsided. I learned that duct tape is a difficult medium that is very versatile and useful. I hope to make more aprons in the future (if I have time) so more than one person can wear them at the same time.
This project will take some time and patience because a lot of duct tape gets ruined in the process. However, this project is very cheap- only about $5 for one roll of duct tape (more than enough).

No comments:

Post a Comment